If it ain't broke, don't fix it. And even if is ever-so slightly chipped, give it another year or two. I could be talking about a family heirloom. In fact, my subject matter is the Maltese Eurovision national selection.
Malta has taken over from Portugal as the country with the biggest number of near and far misses when it comes to Eurovision. They aim to change all that next year.
Those in charge considered 129 songs, before broadcaster PBS released the list of sixteen that will compete for a place in Lisbon. The majority sound like team names from The Apprentice, but 'Song for Dad' already suggests something special.
Format-wise the competition will be the same as before. A bunch of performers in a big hall in between lots of adverts. The date has yet to be confirmed, but mid February looks likely.
The 16 finalists
- Aidan – Dai Laga
- Avenue Sky – We Can Run
- Brooke Borg – Heart of Gold
- Christabelle Borg – Taboo
- Danica Muscat – One Step at a Time
- Deborah C – Turn it up
- Eleanor Cassar – Back to Life
- Jasmine Abela – Supernovas
- Lawrence Gray – Love Renegade
- Matthew Anthony – Call 2Morrow
- Mikhail Attard and Cherylis Camilleri – Breaking Point
- Miriana Conte – Rocket
- Petra – Evolution
- Rhiannon Micallef – Beyond Blue Horizons
- Richard & Joe Micallef – Song for Dad
- Tiziana Calleja – First Time
And just in case we can't tease you ANY MORE, PBS or someone saying they are PBS have released all 16 songs on Youtube. Want to see them? - well go here why don't ya