Dutch entrant will not compete in the 2024 Eurovision Song Contest Grand Final.

Following events that took place over the past few days, the Eurovision Song Contest Organisers (EBU) have released a statement effectively disqualifying the Netherlands from the Contest this year:

The statement in full

The Dutch artist Joost Klein will not be competing in the Grand Final of this year’s Eurovision Song Contest.

Swedish police have investigated a complaint made by a female member of the production crew after an incident following his performance in Thursday night’s Semi Final. While the legal process takes its course, it would not be appropriate for him to continue in the Contest.

We would like to make it clear that, contrary to some media reports and social media speculation, this incident did not involve any other performer or delegation member.

We maintain a zero-tolerance policy towards inappropriate behaviour at our event and are committed to providing a safe and secure working environment for all staff at the Contest. In light of this, Joost Klein’s behaviour towards a team member is deemed in breach of Contest rules.

The Grand Final of the 68th Eurovision Song Contest will now proceed with 25 participating songs.

What maybe happened

Reports indicate an allegation of intimidation was made to Swedish police by a female member of the production crew. On Saturday, Swedish police confirmed that a man had been reported for making “unlawful threats” at Malmö Arena, after Thursday’s semi-final.

“The police have taken all essential investigative measures and questioned the suspect, plaintiff and witnesses,” a spokesperson said.

“The investigation has been completed by the police… and the case will now go to the prosecutor within a few weeks.”

Swedish and Dutch news outlets have said that the incident involved Klein and a member of the television production team.

In other news

Meanwhile, Ireland’s entrant Bambie Thug missed their dress rehearsal, but promised to be on stage for the show.

On their Instagram story, Bambie Thug explained that there had been a “situation” prior to the flag parade rehearsal “which I felt needed urgent attention” from the European Broadcasting Union (EBU).

Bambie Thug made no reference to Klein’s exclusion and there is no suggestion the two incidents are related.

Separately, Norwegian media is reporting that their jury spokesman Allesandra Mele has pulled out, citing the “inflamed situation” in Malmo. She came fourth representing Norway last year with the song King of Queens.

Dutch broadcaster Avrtotros called Klein’s disqualification “disproportionate”.

In a statement on social media, the company said it was “shocked by the decision” and would “come back to this later”.

You can read our detailed account of events here

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

0 Comments
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments